Friday, September 19, 2014

Another Take on Crockpot Pulled Pork

I've had so many ideas about what I wanted to post, I've been struggling with what to post first. The dinner we ate last night sealed the deal for me.

I made pulled pork in my crockpot for the first time about five years ago. Since then it's pretty much become a staple in our house hold. Before I post all the details though, I have a confession... Generally when I tell someone I make pulled pork they assume it's BBQ. I'm really not much of a BBQ person. This pork is delicious and can be used a dozen different ways, only one of which is BBQ! 

The original recipe I used came from Budget Bytes, a budget friendly food blog, but I've modified it quite a bit since to make it my own. The original recipe estimates $8.34/recipe or $0.93 a serving, but mine uses a few different ingredients, but I have never recalculated the cost. Typically I purchase pork from Costco, its ~$2.30/lb, but you have to buy 17 lbs. I split this into 4 roasts (you could do more) and pull them out of the freezer when we are in the mood. I think you could get it cheaper on sale, but I think this is a pretty good price. 



Crock Pot Pulled Pork
(Adapted from Budget Bytes)

Ingredients:

  • Boneless Pork Roast (Shoulder roast, Boston Butt, Picnic Roast)
  • 5 Cloves Fresh garlic 
  • 2 Tbl Paprika
  • 1/2 Tsp Garlic Powder
  • 1/2 Tsp Chili Powder
  • 1 Tsp Salt
  • 3 Cups water
  • 1/4 Cup liquid smoke

Directions:

  1. Mix spices. Rub them all over the roast.
  2. Put the roast in the crock pot. Add garlic, water and liquid smoke.
  3. Cook on low for 12 hours. 
  4. Use fork, tongs, or mixer to shred pork. 

Yeah it is that easy. I love easy.

So now that you've made all this pork. What do you do with it? The obvious choice is to pour some BBQ sauce on it, and eat it or put it on a sandwich, but other options range from quesadillas and burritos to omelettes and eggs Benedict to pasta and a baked potato topping.  It's also delicious in a salad or wrap. Don't worry, I'll be sure to post some more recipes, on how to use this - so check back! 

Pulled Pork on a Chipotle Southwestern Salad


, ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment