Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Pumpkin Spice Latte - A Guest Post

HI All!  I'm Desiree and have the honor of knowing all of the lovely ladies running this awesome blog.  I'm a busy momma with 2 kiddos, a full time job (A nurse!) and I'm going back to school to get my Masters degree.  I've been a vegetarian (technically an ova-lactovarian) for about 24 years and generally TRY to eat fairly healthy.  I've recently made some huge dietary changes cutting nearly all breads and excess sugar!  So when I discovered just how bad for me some of my very favorite foods were, I started looking for yummy substitutions!  Kayte asked if I would be willing to share some of these, YES!  So, you'll find me here as a guest blogger occasionally with some tips for healthy substitutions I hope you guys enjoy as much as I do!

Love your Pumpkin Spice Latte but HATE not knowing what you’re really drinking?

Fall is coming and if you’re like me (and Racheal apparently!), I LOVE a good Pumpkin Spice Latte. Many of us have seen the ads claiming our favorite drive-though latte is filled with chemicals, sugar, and doesn't even have any real pumpkin! I (as much as the next busy working momma) love the convenience of having someone just hand me my coffee in the morning but is it REALLY worth it?

I've found this awesome recipe that not only gives me my pumpkin spice fix, it helps me get through my busy morning with a healthy dose of protein powder, it’s low in sugar, and so much cheaper than my daily trip through the drive through. Most days it doubles as coffee AND breakfast as I rush the kids to school and get to work!

Get your ingredients ready
To make this yummy latte just throw the following into a blender and blend well:
  • 1/2 scoop vanilla whey protein (added benefit, helps make it frothy like a latte) 
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk 
  • 1/4 cup pumpkin purée 
  • 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice 
  • 1 Tsp vanilla extract (It’s good with a little more too!) 
  • Stevia to taste preference 
  • Average cup of brewed strong coffee
Almost ready

Just a few tips: Once you've added all these ingredients, your coffee may have cooled a bit. I usually toss mine in the microwave for a bit! I use the lowest sugar almond milk I can find to keep the calories lower. Sometimes the pumpkin spice powder seems too chunky, I had been taking an extra step and dissolving it in the milk before adding it, but I found some finely ground pumpkin spice and it blends better.

ALWAYS find the time to wash your blender out after making your latte….because honestly, it cleans quite quickly when fresh. If you forget and wake up the next morning to a dirty blender you’ll never make your yummy coffee…who has the time to wash a blender first thing in the morning BEFORE coffee with kids running around.


Breakfast on the run

ENJOY!
, ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment