Friday, October 31, 2014

Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas - A Guest Post

I have always loved to cook. As a teenager living in a household of 8 people, I had many “guinea pigs” to sharpen my skills on. My poor husband ate many leftovers our first year of marriage until I figured out how to reduce my quantities to suit two people (not sure I was ever really successful at that). Fortunately for our waistlines we were blessed with four children for me to pour my love of cooking into. One major drawback to cooking for many people is the cost, which was not a concern as a teenager when I didn’t buy the food. Let’s just say finding ways to stretch the food budget has been a priority since adding our second child to the table. One of my favorite ways to do this is to buy meats that will make more than one meal. A family favorite is my mom’s recipe for spaghetti and meatballs. I will let her share the recipe (since she is one of the blog authors). This recipe is great for company and I usually still have enough left to make a lasagna, pizza and sometimes meatball/sausage subs. That’s 4 meals!

Another budget-stretching meat is chicken which I always buy on sale. Usually I buy boneless skinless chicken breasts (I always buy boneless to keep from paying for the bones) or whole fryer/roaster chickens. The latter is my favorite for fixing 2 or more meals. My current favorite way to fix a whole chicken is in the crockpot thanks to Mom who shared an amazing recipe, The Best Whole Chicken in a Crock Pot, with me. Sometimes we eat the chicken immediately or make chicken and noodles, chicken and dumplings, chicken salad, and chicken enchiladas thereby getting several meals out one pot. 

Anyway, my sister asked me to share a family favorite and hinted at my sour cream chicken enchiladas. Considering this is still popular around here (requested at least every other week) even with only 2 children still at home, I figured why not. Before sharing the recipe, I will give a little background behind how it came into my possession. I love cookbooks, especially church and community cookbooks. Early on in my marriage Mark and I travelled as evangelists and many of the churches we visited had cookbooks which I was all too happy to purchase. I believe some of my favorite all time recipes have come out of these cookbooks and churches. Anyway, one of these cookbooks had a sour cream chicken enchilada recipe that I tried and liked. Over the years I have tweaked it here and there until it has become a regular go-to in our house and I no longer use the written recipe (not sure I even have that cookbook anymore).

So without further ado here is the recipe:

2 cups chopped cooked chicken
16 oz. sour cream
8 oz. shredded cheddar or Mexican cheese
1 regular size can medium enchilada sauce
2 green onions, sliced
10 flour tortillas

Mix chicken, sour cream, 1 cup of cheese, onions, and approx. ¼ cup enchilada sauce together in a bowl. Place 1 to ½ tablespoons (be generous) in each flour tortilla and roll, leaving ends open. Place rolled enchiladas in a baking dish that’s been sprayed with cooking spray. Cover enchiladas with remaining enchilada sauce. Cover with foil and bake 20 min. @ 350. Remove foil, sprinkle remaining cheese over top of enchiladas and bake an additional 10 minutes.

Enjoy!

My name is Maggie and I currently live in a house with my husband and two teenagers. We have been downsizing over the past couple of years due to my oldest daughter getting married and my second daughter going away to college. The gradual decline will continue as my third daughter is preparing to graduate this spring and go to college away from home. I attempt to do weekly meal planning and have been pretty successful at it for over 20 years. I find it helpful in sticking to a budget and avoiding impulse buying when doing my grocery shopping. Menu planning is becoming a bit more challenging as my household is not as consistent for meals. I'm working on adjusting to the new model but still prefer having everyone "home" so I can cook for the "masses" .

, ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment