Monday, February 2, 2015

Deconstructed Apple Pie


I had a hankering for something sweet the other day and remembered a recipe I saved a few months ago for a quick and easy apple pie.  I also had several apples that needed to be used, so sounded like it would be a perfect thing to try.  Apple pie is my favorite dessert, but I seldom make it because I don't want to mess with a pie crust and I end up eating way more pie than I should.  This recipe was the perfect solution!


Deconstructed Apple Pie
Tasty Kitchen.com
  • 4 tablespoons butter, divided
  • 2 slices crusty bread (I used sourdough)
  • 2 large apples, peeled, cored and cut in 1/2 inch pieces
  • 1/4 cup real maple syrup or honey
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • pinch of salt
  • Shredded cheddar or crumbled bleu cheese (optional)
Cut bread into 1/2 inch cubes.  Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in skillet, then add bread and  cook until brown and toasted.  Removed bread to a plate and set aside. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in the same skillet, then add apples, maple syrup, cinnamon and salt.  Cook over medium heat until apples soften, stirring often (about 7-8 minutes).  Add bread back to apple mixture, stirring and cooking for an additional minute or two to allow the bread to soak up the juices.  Serve warm with cheese (if desired) sprinkled on top.

This is so quick, easy and yummy that I will probably never make another apple pie. I used real maple syrup which gave the dish an almost caramel taste - absolutely delicious!  It took about 15 minutes from start to finish, and made 3 generous servings.  I will probably pass on the cheese the next time, and top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream if I have some on hand.  It should be easy to double the recipe for more servings if you like.

I might try substituting coconut oil for the butter and maybe brown sugar for the maple syrup next time.  I will let you know how it turns out!


, , , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment