Monday, June 22, 2015

Easy Chicken Pot Pie

I posted about making my own Cream of Mushroom soup a few weeks ago, and this is one of the many things that I make with it.  I am lazy so I don't make a pie crust for it, instead serving it over a baked potato, biscuits, rice or noodles.  It would even be good just on its own.


Easy Chicken Pot Pie
Use your favorite combination of veggies such as broccoli, mushrooms, carrots, peas, corn, etc. I use lots of mushrooms when I make my soup, so I don't usually add more unless I have a few on hand that need to be used. This is also a great way to use up small amounts of assorted leftover vegetables. Precook the veggies until almost done, then combine all the ingredients and heat through.  If you prefer, you could start with raw veggies and then cook the mixture until the veggies are tender, but you will probably need to add some liquid (water, milk or broth) and stir frequently. Serve over baked or mashed potatoes, biscuits, rice, noodles or a slice of bread. If you really want to take the time, make a pie crust and use this as the filling.

You can use a purchased can of Cream of Mushroom soup and half a can of water if you must, but making the soup yourself is easy and so much more delicious. I make a large batch of soup and freeze it in can-sized portions, either in a freezer-safe Mason jar or a Ziplock baggie. It also works well to make the soup, add all the other ingredients and freeze. Simply thaw and heat to serve.

, , , , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment