Thursday, August 20, 2015

#TBT - Chicken Florentine

I am going to be cooking this today for the residents, staff and volunteers at Maia Moms Dream House.  The Dream House is a home for single moms and their kids who are in crisis, usually homeless or on the brink of being homeless.  Maia Moms is a non-profit organization dedicated to helping single mothers and their children become stable and on a path to success.  To learn more about the organization, go to their website

This is a great versatile casserole that can feed a crowd (expecting about 15 people today).  My other challenge is to use the food that they have on hand (frozen chicken, frozen broccoli, dry egg noodles, and various spices) so I will be substituting broccoli for the spinach, and egg noodles for the penne pasta.  I am taking cottage cheese since it is vital to the recipe, and am taking the proper seasonings since I am not sure they will be available.  Obviously I will be at least doubling the recipe to feed this many people.  

One of the goals for cooking the meal is to demonstrate how to work with what you have on hand instead of making a special grocery store run for all the ingredients. The moms have access to a weekly food pantry so it can be a challenge using what is available that particular week.  The food pantry is run by the neighboring Dream Center, who is also a partner with us on the Dream House. 

I will let you know how it turns out!

For the recipe and original post, click here.
, , , , ,

1 comment:

  1. I am happy to report that it turned out great! I doubled the recipe and ended up with lots of leftovers for the Dream House moms.

    ReplyDelete