Thursday, April 7, 2016

Sweet Potato Chorizo Hash with Avocado Crema



I found this recipe out of necessity. I didn't plan dinner, and had to come up with something quick and easy for hubby to cook at the last minute. I've made pulled pork skillets a number of times since I blogged about them over a year ago. The restaurant which inspired me to create that, has a number of skillets with all different meats and vegetables. One of my favorite "skillets" is a dish with chorizo. Chorizo is delicious, it's good with regular (white) potatoes, but let me tell you, chorizo and sweet potato is like a match made in heaven. And it's definitely better for you (need convincing - check out this infographic from the Cleveland Health Clinic).

I probably would have been fine cooking all the ingredients and throwing them together, but I wanted some guidance. I found this recipe for sweet potato hash with eggs and avocado crema from Wicked Spatula, and I am so glad I did! This avocado crema can (and probably will) have its own post. It was delicious! I was trying to think of all the things I could use it on - in place of sour cream, on top of tacos or fajitas, as a spread on sandwiches, on a salad, but I digress... This was pretty easy to make. For the full original recipe, click here.


First, heat oil in a pan. Then throw in a large diced onion. This recipe called for yellow or white onion, but all we had was red. I personally love the combo of red onion and sweet potato. Again, the recipe calls to saute onions until translucent, but we put in the extra time to caramelize them - I love caramelized onions. At this point you add green chili and chorizo to the pan. We were out of green chilies - it was fine. Once the chorizo has browned, add in diced sweet potatoes and combine. Add water, and let it steam. This takes about 10 minutes.

While the potatoes are cooking, make your crema. Combine avocado, lime juice, mayonnaise. You can add salt and water to taste - I actually used plain greek yogurt in place of mayo - higher protein, less calories and less fat!. This crema was the bomb (do people still say that? - it was that good!).

When the potatoes are soft, make a little divot in them, and crack in an egg. Then cooked covered until the egg whites are set and the yolks are still runny. In case you can't tell from this picture, there was some confusion at this point. Mine turned out with the eggs being the consistency of egg fried rice. In the future, I would probably retry this, or just make over medium eggs and slide them on top.


Topping suggestions included jalapenos, pico de gallo, cilantro, avocado, and lime. We didn't have any of these, and just topped with the avocado crema - it was perfect!. Try it now!
, , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment