Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Sloppy Joes - Kid Friendly!


I have always liked the taste of Sloppy Joes made with a can of Manwich, but since I have become more conscious of ingredient lists and concerned about BPA in items that come in cans,  I started searching for a recipe for homemade Sloppy Joes.  I have tried several, but this one is the best.  (I use frozen peppers - red, yellow and green mixture - that I buy at Trader Joes if I don't have a green pepper on hand.)  I usually have everything else, so it works great for a last-minute meal.  If the meat is frozen, I defrost it by making sure it is sealed watertight in a Ziplock bag and submerge it in cool water - takes about an hour or less to defrost.


Sloppy Joes 

Ingredients:
  • 1 pound ground beef (or ground turkey)
  • 1 cup onion, diced
  • 1/2 cup green pepper, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 Tbsp yellow mustard
  • 1/4 cup ketchup
  • 2 cups pureed tomatoes or tomato sauce (15 oz. can)
  • 1 Tbsp Worchestershire sauce

Preparation: Brown raw meat, onions and green pepper over medium heat. Add all other ingredients and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes (mixture will thicken as it cooks).  Spoon over bread or into a bun and serve.  To cook in Slow Cooker: Place browned meat, onions & green pepper in the slow cooker. Add all the other ingredients and mix well. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or high for 2-3 hours.  Serves 4-6.

, , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment