Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Spinach, Mushrooms, and Onions - Pt 1

Bowtie pasta covered in a cream sauce 
with chicken, spinach, mushrooms and caramelized onions

I somewhat recently confessed to not liking veggies. That's a fairly simply version of it. I have a difficult time incorporating a variety of veggies into our meals. I don't hate vegetables, I just tolerate most of them. There are, of course, a few exceptions - two of these being onions and mushrooms. I am of the opinion that you can never have enough caramelized onions, or sauteed mushrooms. Its just not possible.

Cooking onions & mushrooms, while holding baby

I haven't published too many post on either of these things (don't worry, they are coming), but the making of this French Onion Soup - definitely had us discussing how to cook, and use caramelized onions. Just thinking of it makes my mouth water.

This Spinach, Onion and Mushroom recipe from Julia's Album has already become a favorite in our house. Its incredibly simple, and with a bit of creativity we've been able to use it in a variety of dishes. This recipe is intended as a topping or side for meat (chicken, steak, etc) and comes with an optional "cream" recipe. Julia even list a few other ideas. This post is part one of three about different uses for this combo.

Plain spinach, onions and mushrooms

I have used it as a steak topper, pasta w. chicken, Alfredo pasta w. sausage, and for flat bread pizza. I even threw it in an egg scramble with some sausage!. I think it would be delicious in a red-sauced pasta. I'm sure you could make some kind of quesadilla, or even some kind of fancy veggie taco or burrito. Each time I have made it, I have varied the ratio of onion, mushrooms, and spinach based on what I have on hand. I have always "doubled" it though, and used a portion of the left overs for another dish.

With the cream sauce

This recipe is three basic steps: (1) caramelize the onion, (2) saute the mushrooms, (3) combine mushrooms and spinach with onions. Then use as you see fit.The first time I made it, I doubled the recipe, then removed half when finished. I added 1.5-2x the cream sauce, and added costco rotisserie chicken, and poured over pasta.I saved the remaining recipe (without sauce) for another recipe.


Spinach, Mushrooms & Onions

Ingredients
  • 3 Onions, sliced
  • 10 - 15 small mushrooms (I used baby bellas)
  • 2 Tbl Olive oil
  • 1 Tbl Balsamic Vinegar (I use dressing)
  • 3 Garlic Cloves
  • 3 C Spinach
  • Salt
Directions
  1. Caramelize the onions: heat 1 Tbl olive oil in a large pain, add onions. Begin on high heat, then lower and add a pinch of salt. Cook until caramelized (approx 30 minutes). Use 1TBL balsamic to deglaze the pan. 
  2. Saute Mushrooms: while onions are cooking, heat 1 Tbl olive oil in another pan, add mushrooms, garlic and a pinch of salt. Cook approx 20 minutes.
  3. Combine mushrooms with onions, and add spinach on low heat until spinach wilts
*Note More detailed instructions on the original website*

Optional Cream Ingredients:
  • 1/3 C Heavy Cream
  • 1/4 C Milk
  • 1/2 C Parmesan Cheese (I used italian blend)
  • 1/4 Tsp Salt
Instructions for Cream Sauce: Add listed ingredients to mix on med-low heat and mix until melted and coating all vegetables. 
, , , , , , , , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment