Monday, April 27, 2015

Ramen Noodle Soup

When my kids were growing up, one of their favorite snacks or quick meals was the packaged Ramen noodles.  It was cheap, quick, tasty and they could make it themselves.  I like them, too, but I don't like all the extra ingredients.  Since I have been trying to clean up what I eat, I don't buy them anymore.  


I am fortunate to have a large Asian market close by, and I was fascinated by the large assortment of noodles they carry.  As I looked at them, I thought that it couldn't be too difficult to make my own Ramen noodle soup. I have tried several different kinds of Asian-style noodles by now, and will continue to experiment with others.  Some of the packages have English translations, but many of them don't.  Below is a picture of what I used this time, and it had no English so your guess is as good as mine as to what kind they were.


Ramen Noodle Soup
Serves 1

  • 2 cups broth (chicken, beef, vegetable)
  • 1/2 cup frozen mixed vegetables
  • Pinch of oregano
  • Dried noodles
  • 1 Tablespoon soy sauce (or to taste)

Add oregano to broth along with vegetables and cook until vegetables are tender.  Add noodles and simmer until done (it doesn't take long), then add soy sauce and serve.

Feel free to change anything you like in the above recipe.  I used my homemade bouillion to make the broth. Use whatever veggies you have on hand or prefer.  If they are fresh, maybe stir fry them in a little sesame oil instead of boiling them.  It is also a great way to use up leftover veggies.  I added oregano just because it seemed like a good idea. Thyme or basil would also be good choices.  If you don't have Ramen-type noodles, use thin spaghetti or angel hair instead.  To make it more substantial, add small pieces of cooked meat or seafood, although I find it pretty filling without.  This is the perfect recipe to experiment with to make it your own!

, , , , , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment