Monday, May 4, 2015

Kayte's Motley Rice (aka Everything But the Kitchen Sink Rice)

I'll admit it: I've become a chicken broth hoarder since my mom discovered it can be reduced and frozen in bouillon squares (directions here). I stopped counting after 48 squares, which is enough to make 48 cups of chicken broth. That's just crazy. But the fact that they are all contained in one gallon sized freezer bag assuages my guilt.

Now I find myself looking for fun ways to use my bounty of bouillon. I've found that you can throw it in just about anything as a flavor enhancer, but by far my favorite current use for it is in this rice I've invented. It makes a perfect side to almost anything, is completely customizable, and a great way to a) sneak some vegetables into reluctant family members and b) clean out random remnants from your fridge/freezer. Basically, you cook your rice as directed on the package, substituting the liquid with a combination of bouillon cubes, water, and a salad dressing/marinade of your choice. To do this, I simply place the frozen bouillon cubes in my measuring cup then start adding salad dressing and water until I reach the desired amount of liquid. Use whatever ratio of rice:water that is called for on your chosen package of rice. I ran out of Italian dressing this last time, so added some of this citrus marinade from Costco. This gave the rice an amazing sweet hint that even my 10 year old appreciated and commented on. The pictures really don't do this rice justice, it is bursting with flavor.

I parted with 2 of my frozen bouillon cubes for this.


Another Costco win.
Kayte's Motley Rice, pork carnita taco, and random slices of apple. Don't judge.
I served this with carnita tacos (recipe here) and apples, which is admittedly weird but I'm that desperate to sneak fruits and veggies into the hoodlums I live with. I get less guff if it's on a dinner plate and I'm sitting at the table watching them eat it, for some reason. You probably think I'm referring to my children, but my husband is just as bad.

Kayte's Motley Rice

1 cup jasmine rice
1 cup frozen/leftover mixed veggies (peas, corn, etc.)
1/4 cup diced onion (optional)
1/2 tsp dried oregano (optional)
1.5 cup total combined liquid and bouillon:
     2 cubes bouillon (use vegetable bouillion for vegetarian)
     1/2 cup Italian dressing (any oil/water based dressing works!)
     1/2 cup balsamic citrus basil marinade
     *enough water to reach 1.5 cup mark

Add all of the above ingredients (still frozen) to a saucepan and bring to a boil. (Cook according to rice package directions.) Cover, simmer for 15 minutes, then stir and fluff with a fork.

Any other ideas for random ingredients that I should add to this? 
, , , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment